There are many advanced properties that can be set for a field in an event, profile, database or related entity form. The ones detailed below have been described for the purposes of making changes to an event form, but can generally be used the same way in other form types if available.
Common Advanced Properties
- Copy Properties From: this allows you to copy the advanced properties set up for another field in the form to the selected field. This will copy any Abbreviation settings as well.
- Visible: allows you to set whether the question is Visible or Hidden for all users. You cannot run calculations on hidden questions. Set to Visible in most cases.
- Default Show In Tables: True means that this question is automatically included in tables on the user interface: for example, in the performance history and in reports. Within the reports module you can tick questions that aren’t set to appear in tables by default to have them show up in the report. Set to False for most fields in order to create a clean report by default.
- Hide in reports: when this property is enabled, the question will not appear in reports and will not be available to add to a report from the View Fields section of the report tool sidebar.
- Show this item in quick edit popup: if quick editing is enabled for your Smartabase site, enabling this property makes questions available for editing in a pop-up from an embedded report or event, a report or the history screen. Note: records updated using a quick edits pop-up cannot be locked.
- Preferred width: the width in pixels of the question when it appears as a column in a table (i.e. in user history and reports).
- Report column width: same as above but specifically for the reports tool.
- PDF report column width: same as above but for PDF downloads from the reports tool.
- Summary field: True means that the data for this field will appear in the left sidebar against the record’s date once it is saved. Try to have as few fields with this set to True as possible, otherwise the sidebar gets very crowded. Set to False in most cases. If you have set Summary Field to True for a single field in the form, the field name will not show. You will need at least two fields with Summary Field set to True in order to see the field names in the left sidebar.
- Calendar summary field: same as above, but for how the saved record is displayed in the calendar. Set to False in most cases.
- Ical summary field: same as above, but for how the saved record is displayed in an iCal file. Set to False in most cases.
- Show in PDF reports: True means that this question and answer will appear in PDF downloads from the reports module. Set to True in most cases.
- Can be entered by: used to specify who can fill out this question. You need to ensure that this property and the next don’t contradict each other.
- Can be viewed by: used to specify who can view this field and any data recorded in it.
- Abbreviation: used to abbreviate the question (if needed) to optimise how it appears in tables (i.e. in user history and reports) and the sidebar (if Summary Field is set to True this field’s abbreviation will be visible in the sidebar). This property’s text can safely be changed whenever you like, but changing the actual name of the question has implications.
- Plural: can be specified if the question name ever needs to be referred to as a plural; this is generally not used.
- Lock Delay Field: if this is set to True, this question can be edited for a period of time after the form is locked and there is a delay period set. Set to False in most cases. Form locking and delay periods are advanced form properties.
- Plannable: if this is set to Yes, then this question is available for use in modules that plan for the future (that is, in the training blocks module). You should ensure this is set to Yes for questions where there is value in planning the answer ahead of time.
- Show In Group Mode: if set to Yes, then this question will appear when group entry mode is used to fill out the form. You can set to True if you want this field to be filled out when group entry mode is used or False if this field shouldn’t be useable in group entry mode.
- Chart By Default: if set to Yes, the answers to this question are graphed in the performance history and reports.
- Calculate Total: if set to Yes, the values for this question are totalled and displayed at the bottom of the form in the performance history and reports.
- Calculate Average: if set to Yes, the values for this question are averaged and displayed at the bottom of the form in the performance history and reports.
Option Type Field Advanced Properties
These are the advanced properties are available for option type questions, such as yes/no, true/false, drop-down, multiple selection or single selection.
- Calculate Total: if set to Yes, the scores for this question are totalled and displayed at the bottom of the form in the performance history and reports.
- Calculate Average: if set to Yes, the scores for this question are averaged and displayed at the bottom of the form in the performance history and reports.
- Status Indicator: if set to True, then the answer to this question is used as the status indicator for the user. The status indicator affects how the user’s name is displayed in the sidebar. Set to False in most cases.
- Best Value: can be specified to No Best Value if all possible answers to the question are equally important or a single option can be set as the best value. When setting up an option list, it’s recommended that you put the best value (if enabled) at the top or bottom of the option list as reports, inForm reports, front page reports and the history sort according to the list order. Best value settings also means that when the answers to this question are displayed in a performance summary dashboard an arrow will be seen showing the direction of progress depending on whether the current value is better or worse than the last value.
- Show scores in tables instead of text: this displays the options for the question as their scores instead of text when the question is part of a table (i.e. in history and reports). Set to False in most cases.
- Orientation: this property allows all option type questions except for multiple selection fields to be set to display options vertically or horizontally.
- Critical Info: if True, the answer to this question will appear in the sidebar below the user’s image. Only one or two really critical variables across a site should be set to True to reduce clutter and highlight really important information, like allergies, injury status etc. Set to False in most cases.
- Default To Critical: if the Critical Info property is set to True, then this can be set to Yes or No depending on whether you want this question’s answer to default to the last value entered. Set to False in most cases.
- Default Value: can be set to No default value if all possible answers to the question are equally likely or a single option can be set as the default value. Note that if a value is set as a default and the question is not answered then the default value will be saved as the answer when the form is saved.
- Invalid If: picking an option with this setting makes that option invalidate the form, meaning that it can’t be saved. If there are any options included as answers for this question that make the form’s data unusable, pick that option. An Invalid if message box will appear to include an explanation for why the question’s answer is invalid. Leave as blank in most cases.
- Conditional Option: this allows you to pick another option question in the form (above this question) to filter the options for this question. Leave as blank in most cases.
- Copy To All: this property will copy all of the advanced properties you’ve set for the selected option question to all other option questions of the same type in the form. This can be very useful for saving time, but abbreviations generally need to be set for individual questions.
Date Field Advanced Properties
These are the advanced properties you have available for a date question.
- Date Format: select the date display format, e.g. DD/MM/YYYY. Setting the date format with this method will override any site-wide date format settings, which are set by Fusion Sport using the application details module.
- Default To: specify No Default or Today. If set to Today, then the date question is pre-filled with the date the form was first created.
- Minimum/Maximum: these can be used if there are other date questions in the form and they influence the minimum or maximum dates that can be entered for this question
- Restrict Future Dates: if set to True, then dates that are after the form creation date are unable to be selected
- Remove Future Dates: this property is now obsolete (replaced by better ways of doing calculations involving dates) and will be removed from new Smartabase releases
Text Type Field Advanced Properties
These are the advanced properties available for a text type question. The properties for single line text and paragraphs field are essentially the same.
- Minimum Number Of Characters: this lets you specify a minimum number of characters entered for this question. You can leave this blank in most cases.
- Maximum Number Of Characters: this lets you specify a maximum number of characters. This property can be useful to restrict how much text is entered when only a particular amount is needed. You can leave this blank in most cases.
Numeric Type Field Advanced Properties
- Minimum Value: allows you to specify the smallest value that can be entered for this question.
- Maximum Value: allows you to specify the largest value that can be entered for this question.
- Format: allows you to specify how many decimal places the answer can be entered to. It is best practice to set this correctly and avoid leaving it set to None.
- Comparisons: if set to Yes and the advanced form property called Show Last Record is set to True, then the last record for this question will be visible in a new form along with the percent change.
- Best Value: can be set to No Best Value if all possible answers to the question are equally important or a direction can be set (higher answers are better or lower answers are better). Best value means that when the answers to this question are displayed in a performance summary dashboard an arrow will be seen showing the direction of progress depending on whether the current value is better or worse than the last value. If the advanced form property called Show Last Record is set to True, then alongside the last record an arrow will also be displayed, indicating the direction of progress.
- Number Type: lets you specify whether this number is a count, estimate, quantity of measurement. Can safely be set as None in most cases. If specified the following properties become available:
- Unit Type: lets you specify the number as a unit of measurement. Can be safely left set as None in most cases.
- Units: lets you specify the units of measurement depending on the unit type selected. Can safely be left as blank in most cases.
- Minimum Significant Difference: lets you specify the smallest change considered as a significant change. Can safely be left as blank in most cases.
Calculation Type Field Advanced Properties
These are the advanced properties available for a calculation type field. These properties are common to all non-linked calculation question types (basic calculations, duration calculations, history calculations, table calculations, option calculations, text calculations).
- X-Position: only available when the section property called form positioning is set to Positioned and the width and height of the section are set.
- Y-Position: same as above.
- Auto-Calculate: specifies whether the calculation calculates as soon as the data it requires is entered. Always set to Yes.
- Repeat Field In Excel Report: if the calculation is part of a table, setting this to Yes means that the calculation result will fill down when the record is a) exported to CSV from the reports module or user history or b) the field is included in an Excel report. Only selectable/useful if the calculation is part of a table.